A Crunchy, Healthy Snack Your Kids Will Love
If you have one or more kids, you may feel like have probably spent the majority of your 30’s never leaving home without a baggie filled with a bright yellow snack in the shape of an animal - fish, chicken or bunny - pick your favorite. I don’t know why this particular food has become a right of passage for all American children old enough to knock their siblings over, but I am here to offer an option with actual nutritional value.
Below is the recipe I created (and had my youngest flawlessly execute). Yes, an activity and a healthy snack in one !
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 T. Nacho Cheese Dip Seasoning from Savory Spice Shop
(If you like a stronger cheese flavor add 1.5 T of Seasoning.)
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. olive oil
- Drain the chickpeas in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Lay the chickpeas evenly on a few layers of paper towels, cover with more paper towels and pat dry.
- In a bowl toss all the ingredients together and mix well.
- On a parchment covered cookie sheet lay out an even layer of the beans making sure none are overlapping or crowding each other.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Taste. You can bake an additional 5 minutes or more for desired crunchiness.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet before transferring to a bowl. This allows them to remain extra crunch.